The roof of a building is often left neglected even if it performs the most vital function of protecting the home interior from rains, snowfall, storms, and extreme atmospheric temperatures. Hence, the roof of an old house should be restored to its original condition, by coating the roof tiles with suitable paints. However, roof painting should be done only by expert professionals, to avail of all the benefits of coating the entire roof. Likewise, good quality paints should be applied to get the desired and long-lasting results.
Prime merits of roof painting for house owners
- Extends longevity of roof – When the old roof tiles are coated with special reflective paints, the roof is expected to run for longer life. Roof painting protects the tiles and they are no more adversely affected by the UV rays and other external factors. There is a lesser chance of leakage from these painted roof tiles, diminishing the requirements of tile replacement. It is seen that painted roofs last for several decades, in contrast to unpainted roof tiles that are damaged much sooner.
- Helps the roof withstand weather extremities – Since roof tiles are coated with waterproof paints, rainwater cannot seep inside the rooms through any crack formed on the tile surfaces. These paint coatings make the tiles thicker and sturdier to withstand the force of cyclonic storms and hailstones, without facing any damage. Even the metal tiles of roofs cannot shrink or extend due to the changes in atmospheric temperatures, due to the uniform paint coating.
- Decreases use of energy at home – The interior of a home remains much cooler in summer and comfortably warm in winter, due to the perfect roof painting. Usually, white or light-coloured paints can absorb a large amount of sun’s heat during summer and prevent the escape of internal heat during winter. Hence, there is a lesser need for switching on electrical cooling or heating appliances, saving a large amount of electrical energy in daily life. This energy efficiency of the painted roof saves lots of money for the house owner, by reducing the monthly electrical bills. Thus, it is preferred to use lighter shades of paints over the darker ones, for painting roof tiles.
- Enhance the external beauty of house – A house with freshly painted roof looks elegant. This aesthetic look depends on the choice of paint colour and quality of the paint, to get the extra shine on the old roof tiles. The aesthetics of any house can increase the resale value of that property. Hence, roof painting is a positive measure that can be beneficial for a house owner when he wants to sell his property.
- Prevents formation of mildew – When the roof tiles remain humid due to rain, snow or mist, it is likely that lichens, algae, and mildew may grow over these wet surfaces. While moulds and mildew growing on the roof can be harmful to residents of that house, the roots of lichens and algae can cause leakage on the roof. Only uniform roof painting can prevent the growth of these organisms, saving the health of the home and people living there.
Generally, the roofs of residential buildings are made of concrete, metal or terracotta tiles, which can be painted easily. Renowned companies offering roof painting services should be contacted, which needs to have a good reputation in the market and sufficient experience in this field. The cost of this service depends on the condition of the roof, type of material used in making that roof, and the roof size.